The Grand Imperial Hotel

Originally known as the Thomson Block, the Grand Hotel was commissioned in 1882 by Mr. W.S. Thomson; a perfume importer and mill owner who hailed from New York City. Completed in 1883, in just under 10 months the massive granite structure became renowned for being the largest single standing structure south of Denver. The Grand Hotel was the Crown Jewel of Silverton and quickly become the pinnacle of luxury in the Southwest. After completion, the Hotel played a critical role in the boom town years.

Serving the town for nearly 25 years the entire second floor of the Grand Hotel was the base of operations for the Town of Silverton and San Juan County, serving as the official town and county seat; providing much needed office space for local officials. The buildings first floor was the home to the local Post Office, town bank, Bureau of Mines, General Store, Doctors office and the Silverton Standard Newspaper.

With mine production waning, the town was changing and so was the Grand Hotel. The Victorian era building was sold and was renamed the Imperial Hotel until it changed hands once again in 1951. After an extensive restoration the hotel reopened its doors to the public under its current name sake, the Grand Imperial Hotel.

The Grand Lady of the San Juan’s now over 135 years in age had fallen into disrepair and yearned for someone to take on the monumental task of not only preserving, but restoring the gilded granite edifice to its former eminence.

Visit the Grand Imperial Hotel
The Grand Imperial